Installing other programs

• | 436 points

I'm looking to get away from Homestead but want to be sure Laragon is workable. Is it possible to install other programs on Laragon. For example, I require Beanstalk. I'd also need to install Tesseract OCR. https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki

• | 3170 points

I was able to install Tesseract OCR via node.js, which comes pre-bundled with Laragon. As for Beanstalk, I can't really speak to that because I'm not that familiar with it, but you should be able to use any IDE or code editor you want with Laragon without any issues. I use Visual Studio Code, for example, and it works perfectly with Laragon.

If Beanstalk comes with its own terminal, then you should able to use that if you want as well, though Laravel has it's own preconfigured terminal solution that you can configure to your liking as well depending on whether you prefer to use PowerShell, bash, CMD, CygWin, etc.

• | 436 points

Thanks Max.
    Beanstalk is a work queue for passing off jobs in the background. In production, we have some lengthy jobs that run over night using the queue.

I'm curious what you meant by installing Tesseract via nodejs. I see a npm package for it, but it still needs the project to be installed.
    On Ubuntu, I install Tesseract using apt and also use the PHP-Tesseract to interact with it.

• administrators
    | 112819 points

@rbruhn : Beanstalk doesn't support Windows so you can't use it natively with Laragon on Windows.
    However, you can install only Beanstalk using VM (or Docker).

• | 3170 points

@rbruhn said in Installing other programs:

s the project to be installed.
    On Ubuntu, I install Tesseract using apt and also use the PHP-Tesseract to interact with it.

Yeah, fair enough, I did have to install some extra dependencies along with Tesseract (it was a small project I did a few months ago and haven't touched since), but, from what I recall, it was fairly seamless.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.