Laragon and WP

• | 910 points

Hello there!

As a Laragon and also as a WordPress newbie, I have so far used the unzipped XAMPP folder on my data partition D without having to install XAMPP on my system partition.
    I would like to do so with Laragon, too, which, as far as I can see from several tutorials, is even a better fit for my WP needs.

Reading the following lines on your GitHub site:

"Laragon doesn't use Windows services. It has its own service orchestration which manages services asynchronously and non-blocking so you'll find things run fast & smoothly with Laragon."

and

"Isolated -- Laragon has an isolated environment with your OS - it will keep your system clean.",

I guess, the answer is yes, but I would like to make sure this is in fact the case, the more so since one tutorial I watched said you have to stick to the C:\Laragon path when installing, which I cannot believe.

Being able to start Laragon on my data partition D would be great for me, since my system partition C is not as spacious as my data partition, so it would be great if I could install on my data partition D and have its huge space for my WP installations.

Thank you for any help! I am looking forward to working with Laragon and WP!

• administrators
    | 115132 points

@valido : And also:
    "Portable - You can move Laragon folder around (to another disks, to another laptops, sync to Cloud,…) without any worries."

https://laragon.org/docs/

So just move your C:/laragon to D:/laragon, Laragon will work fine. It is a powerful feature of Laragon that you can not find in others.

• | 910 points

@leokhoa :
    Thanks a lot for your answer, that's great to hear!:thumbsup_tone2:

• | 910 points

@valido said in Laragon and WP:

@leokhoa :
    Thanks a lot for your answer, that's great to hear!:thumbsup_tone2:

I downloaded laragon-wamp.exe vers. 4.014 from your GitHub page (I prefer that to sourceforge), or is there any reason I should rather start with the older version 4.0 as offered on your laragon home page?
    As far as I can see, laragon-wamp.exe (lite version?) is enough for a WP beginner?

• | 910 points

@valido said in Laragon and WP:

I downloaded laragon-wamp.exe vers. 4.014 from your GitHub page (I prefer that to sourceforge), or is there any reason I should rather start with the older version 4.0 as offered on your laragon home page?
    As far as I can see, laragon-wamp.exe (lite version?) is enough for a WP beginner?

Apart from these 2 questions, I would be glad if you could shortly answer the following one, too:

I see that for my local WP installations within Laragon, I can choose between MySQL or MariaDB, but what irritates me a bit is your following statement that I found when searching this forum:

@leokhoa wrote13 days ago:

"Laragon can work with MariaDB, but it will not fully support MariaDB."

With my provider, I have the same choice when installing WordPress, and I was going to select MariaDB (without being absolutely fixed on this choice), but from your above comment it seems to me that you would rather recommend using a MySQL database (as I said, my context is local WordPress testing), or was it rather aimed at very special-needs contexts?

Thanks a lot for any hints concerning these 3 questions!

• | 910 points

@leokhoa :
    I hope my above newbie questions were not too dumb, or am I supposed to open a new thread?
    I would be grateful for any answers.

• administrators
    | 115132 points

Hi @valido
    Here are my answers:

1. You can go with Laragon Lite for Wordpress. As Laragon is extensible, you can add another tools like Node.js using Menu > Tools > Quick add
    2. MySQL and MariaDB are compatible for most cases (in term of API & drivers). On Windows, MySQL works stable than MariaDB so you can use MySQL on Windows.

• | 910 points

@leokhoa :

Thank you very much for answering my questions, very much appreciated!

• administrators
    | 115132 points

@valido : You're welcome. I'm glad to help :)

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.