[Tutorial] How to add your favourite editor to Laragon and the Windows Right-Click Menu

• administrators
    | 55180 points

With Laragon 2.1.0, you can use your favourite editor with Laragon and add it to the Right-Click Menu for quick access. In this article, we will add VS Code.

1. Download VS Code:
      https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/?dv=win

1. Extract the downloaded to: {LARAGON_ROOT}\bin\code
    2. Open laragon.ini in Menu > Laragon > Settings file: laragon.ini
    3. Put Editor=PATH-TO-EXE under [preferences]
    [preferences]
    Editor=bin\Code\code.exe

Note: If you extract outside Laragon's installation dir, you must put full path. For example:

[preferences]
    Editor=C:\editor\Code\code.exe

1. (Optional) Add to Right-Click Menu: Click Tools > Right-Click Menu > Add/Update Code & Terminal
      Note: You must run Laragon as Administrator to do that.

Very easy huh. That's all forks!

• administrators
    | 55180 points

Some pics:

1. laragon.ini
      0_1474390158354_laragon.ini-Editor-Code-in-laragon.jpg

2. A Menu Item with caption "Code" will be appeared in Menu > Tools
      0_1474390178460_Laragon-VS-Code.jpg

3. Tools > Right-Click Menu > Add/Update Code & Terminal
      0_1474391613491_Right-Click Menu.jpg

1. The Windows Right-Click Menu is now has Edit with Code
      0_1474391402814_Windows Right-Click Menu.jpg

• | 586 points

@leokhoa How do I do this on Laragon 1.0.6?

• administrators
    | 55180 points

@pajioh: Laragon 1.0.6 is too old :) From the version, Laragon has added many features, please consider to upgrade:
    https://forum.laragon.org/topic/474/how-to-upgrade-from-laragon-2-to-laragon-3

• | 586 points

@leokhoa OK, thx.

I have apps I maintain using PHP 5.2, 5.4 and 5.6, I know they're old, but they're on intranet, and I can't convince my clients to upgrade. Can I still run those old PHPs if I upgrade to a new version of Laragon?

• administrators
    | 55180 points

@paijoh : I haven't tested but I designed Laragon to handle this case carefully. To make sure, you can:

1. Follow my instructions to install Laragon to another folder.
    2. Copy all of your PHPs to bin\php and your current Apache to bin\apache. Remember to switch to your current versions.
      If they don't work as expected, nothing is effect your current working one.

• | 166 points

I was reading this to enable Sublime as my text editor in Laragon 3.1.2. Looking at my laragon\bin directory - code is not there. Should I create it and then follow rest of directions here? Thanks. I love Laragon!

• administrators
    | 55180 points

@Steve : Yes :)

• | 166 points

@leokhoa Was doing other things for a few days and just coming back to this now. Just realized you are probably using the word "code" as a placeholder for the editor name. If so then it could/should be - bin\name of editor\name of editor.exe - whatever editor you want. And that you can either install the editor in laragon\bin or any other place you want if you point to it. Am I right?
    How about an IDE like Netbeans? Same procedure or diff?

• administrators
    | 55180 points

@Steve: You're absolutely right. You can add any editor, just provide the Full Path (or Relative Path if inside Laragon)
    And the answer is same procedure.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.