Read Only Attributes

• | 588 points

I am trying to use a plugin for a wordpress site. The Plugin is called Instant Image ... It provides a conduit to Unsplash to download images for your site. The plugin creates a directory wp-content\uploads\instant-images . I have tried using the plugin and it fails with a message about server permissions. If I go the circuitous route - clicking on the Unspalsh web site then downloading to the local pc then uploading from within wp The image Does get put in the right place. Using the File explorer from windows the properties of the instant-image directory is given as read only. I have tried to convert this to a read write but no joy... ANy suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or solution to this vexxing problem?
    Thank you

• | 588 points

OK I checked the plugin on a "live site" all works as intended. I tried underr a Xampp Local Host - again plugin works. So by a process of elimination .. Laragon is causing this .. :(
    More checking here.
    Xampp has also made the folder (to file explorer READ ONLY) but as previously mentioned It does work for that environment...
    More perplexed!

• administrators
    | 87280 points

@Sogwac : Laragon doesn't affect file permissions - your OS does. Xampp works because it uses Apache as a Service which Laragon try to avoid for portability and isolation.
    Changing your location from C:\laragon to D:\laragon will fix the issue.

• | 588 points

Sorry that isn't the problem - Laragon is installed on G (a thumb drive) .. I have tried to use the OS to revoke/change attributes .. but No Go. I was using the Apache not as a service (start on demand) . The plugin works on a "Live site" works on Xampp on the thumb drive doesn't work on Laragon .. I will try another Word Press Local host (Instant WP)....

• administrators
    | 87280 points

@Sogwac :
    The location of Laragon is the issue. Your OS may prevent creating folders/files there because of securities. Laragon respects that.
    The securities settings are related to NTFS, user permissions,...
    Note that Laragon doesn't use Administrator right to run.

Laragon is portable - so if you fix the securities, it will work as expect. However, in your case the easiest way is moving Laragon to normal partition on your harddisk such as "D:\laragon"

• | 588 points

OK I tried several other LocalHost WP environments
    Xammp
    InstantWP
    All of them are installed on the same thumb drive
    G:
    All of them worked for this plugin
    I downloaded and installed Laragon (again) on the same thumb drive (new directory)
    I installed a new Version of WordPress - I then tried installing the plugin to this new WordPress and guess what - it now works.
    This Installation of Word Press has nothing else installed Has not even had any parameters changed from the default (eg increasing memory for wp). SO I am at a loss right now ... the Windows file manager still indicates the "temporary folder" for this plugin as read only. ... I'll keep digging

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.