Feature suggestion: Add Caddy HTTP/2 web server (alternative HTTP server)

• | 3786 points

I think that Caddy HTTP/2 web server would make a fine alternative to Apache. It's little easier on memory usage and feels slightly snappier than Apache (could be placebo). Also configuring it feels quite easy.

Also it seems that Apache might have some problems with memory usage (atleast on my old dev environment)..
    Usually memory usage is around 40-50 megs..but occasionally memory usage skyrockets through the roof and I'll have no choice but restart it :o

Any thoughts?

• administrators
    | 69051 points

@Kurre: I use Nginx extensively but Apache2 is still great and flexible (think about .htaccess)
    Upcoming version of Laragon will use fast-cgi so memory consumption will reduce a lot (< 2MB) and also improve performance.

• | 314 points

@leokhoa said:

@Kurre: I use Nginx extensively but Apache2 is still great and flexible (think about .htaccess)
    Upcoming version of Laragon will use fast-cgi so memory consumption will reduce a lot (< 2MB) and also improve performance.

Hi leokhoa, why do you choose for fast-cgi? Why not php-fpm, is here a reason for it?
    Is it possible to change the server api myself or is this not possible?

I run Drupal 7 locally and it's a bit slow, when I refresh my page 6 times, the Apache service is running at 100%, so therefore these questions ;).

• | 3786 points

@leokhoa said:

I'm also using Nginx on my Linux dev VMs as I have preferred it over Apache, but yes, Apache is quite crucial thing to have.

Caddy just got my eye while ago, and during testing it seemed quite nice from a development point of view (even though I need to generate the Caddyfile by myself etc, which isn't very flexible ;))

Anyway, it was just a thought, nothing to be taken too seriously :laughing:

And I'm eagerly waiting to see the improvements of the next version of Laragon :+1:

@Krilo_89 said:

@leokhoa said:

Hi leokhoa, why do you choose for fast-cgi? Why not php-fpm, is here a reason for it?
    Is it possible to change the server api myself or is this not possible?

I run Drupal 7 locally and it's a bit slow, when I refresh my page 6 times, the Apache service is running at 100%, so therefore these questions ;).

Imho, we don't really need the PM part of the PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) in local development environments, since we don't usually need to handle large amount of concurrent connections. PHP-FastCGI itself helps, since we can dump the Apache PHP binary (atleast in terms of memory usage).

But this is just my gut feeling, since I don't have so much of experience in this stuff.
    Just using PHP-FPM & Nginx on my dev VMs and Laragon on Windows :)

• administrators
    | 69051 points

Kurre is right.php-fpm is process manager for fastcgi, Laragon + Apache 2.4 mod fcgid will handle the PM. You can think they are php-fpm on Windows :)

• administrators
    | 69051 points

@Kurre : I've released Laragon 2.1.0 with Nginx support. You may want to give it a try :)
    https://forum.laragon.org/topic/239/laragon-2-1-0-released-with-nginx-support

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.