MariaDB fails to start

• | 701 points

I have some sites running with mariadb-10.2.27-winx64 and some with mysql-5.7.24-winx64. When I try to switch to one using MariaDB I get an error message saying MariaDB cannot start. The mysqld.log says

Loading buffer pool(s) from K:\laragon\data\mariadb-10.2\ib_buffer_pool
    [Note] Plugin 'FEEDBACK' is disabled.
    [Note] Recovering after a crash using mysql-bin
    [Note] Starting crash recovery...
    [Note] Crash recovery finished.
    [Note] Server socket created on IP: '::'.
    [ERROR] mysqld: Index for table '.\mysql\user' is corrupt; try to repair it
    [ERROR] mysqld: Index for table 'user' is corrupt; try to repair it
    [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Index for table '.\mysql\user' is corrupt; try to repair it

PhpMyAdmin runs fine with mysql and user “root” with no password, but obviously can’t run with mariaDB, the error message being

mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Running Laragon with admin rights makes no difference. I saw the answer given here

https://forum.laragon.org/topic/521/service-mariadb-can-not-start/3

but then I encounter a problem with all my (Drupal 7) sites because they cannot connect to the DB due to a problem with lock, i.e. no connection available. The only way around this problem is to recreate the databases manually and import the backups. That’s quite a chore to just change DB engine. I would use mysql exclusively and avoid mariaDB, but the servers for some of my sites are locked to mariaDB and I need to run it for my development environment.

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@lumi : Sorry, I don't have enough time to verify issues with MariaDB on Windows. Please use MySQL in the meantime.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.