Suggestion for Laragon best performance.

• | 1254 points

Hello you all,
    I'm asking you all because I'm not so expert on configuring Apache / php / Mysql.
    I'm building a new local Web server based on DELL Poweredge R710 - 6x LFF - 2xIntel® Xeon® HEXA Core Processor L5640, 32GB DDR3, HDD 2x2TB SAS IN RAID.
    I will use Windows 10 pro 64bit as OS and I would like to use Laragon environment optimized for giving me light speed and the best performance as the maximum possibile :-).
    Please someone can suggest me the best configuration Apache /PHP/ Mysql.
    Thank you in advance.

• | 1254 points

Hello again,
    no one can help?
    I just installed Laragon full lastest version but the DB perfomance are not so good. I'm really frustrated considering that I've 24 thread, 12 cores, 2 CPU 64Bit and 32GB of ram and all is 56% slower than my portable I7 with 4 core 8 thread.
    I'm reading ton of documentation about mysql /mariadb configuration applied all the possibible suggestion to get better perfomance. I arrived to changed db from mysql to mariadb lastest version but performance still slow. Also tried to optimize all using mysql tuner but no real speed improvement.
    Should I switch to linux board (centos / ubuntu) for getting best performance? I know that is a complex matter but maybe someone of you have had my same problem and solved it.
    Thank you for your attention.

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@Amigamerlin : PHP/Apache/MySQL are developed on Linux so you can't expect the speed is 100% on Windows.
    Laragon is configured for development which doesn't use too much resource. If you have a lot of RAM, you should continue focus on optimizing database (MySQL/MariaDB):
    https://mariadb.com/kb/en/configuring-mariadb-for-optimal-performance/

Also, because your server has many cores, you should utilize Nginx and increase the number of PHP upstream to serve many requests concurrently.

• | 1254 points

Thank you for your answer !!!
    I already read and applied all the suggestion of the page you linked ... but the speedup is marginal and not substantial. Moreover seems that having a lot of memory don't help with speed. I played with differente size of innodb_buffer_pool_size and I get best perfomance with a value of 387MB.
    About NGINX ... I've do some search and the only way to have it full working and working fast is having linux board :-(.

I'll try it install ubuntu server latest version.
    Anyway thank you for your interest and answer.

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@Amigamerlin : You're welcome.

Btw, Laragon makes it easy to work with Nginx on Windows, you can use Nginx effortlessly with Laragon.

• | 1254 points

I'll be happy to give it a try. Please can you teach me how to install/ use it with laragon?
    Thank you !!!

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@Amigamerlin : I think Nginx is included with Laragon. You can enable it in Menu > Preferences > Services & Ports

If not you can add it easily:
    https://forum.laragon.org/topic/240/tutorial-how-to-add-another-nginx-version

For PHP, you can add many processes:
    https://forum.laragon.org/topic/262/spawn-more-than-one-php-process

You can also update the latest version of PHP for better performance:
    https://forum.laragon.org/topic/166/tutorial-how-to-add-another-php-version-php-7-4-updated

• | 1254 points

Thank you again leokhoa !!!
    I installed it and tested ... performance are better but not like on linux board.
    I used ubuntu with no DB optimizzation and no NGinx and what is executed in 18seconds in windows with DB optimizzation is executed in 7 seconds under linux with no optimizzation.
    Really a BIG differences !!!
    How this can be possible ?
    How can be all this difference on (just switching OS) the same Server ?
    Using windows Server can I have better perfomance ?
    Any suggestion is really appreciated.

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@Amigamerlin : Open source softwares are mainly developed on Linux so they are optimized on the platform.
    To make them work on Windows, people create many underlying libraries which affect performance. Also, Linux servers mainly have no GUI (or simple GUI) so processors can optimize for other processing tasks.

Windows server can improve performance, espcially networking but can not compare to Linux.
    Many developers use Windows because their time are precious. Linux is fast, but when there is an issue, it may destroy your day.

• | 1254 points

@leokhoa said in Suggestion for Laragon best performance.:

Linux is fast, but when there is an issue, it may destroy your day.

Holy words !!! Is what are happenig to me ... I spent all day just to do something that Laragon let me do in 5 minutes !!! ah ... leokhoa I forgot to thank you for Laragon, simply spectacular !!!

• administrators
    | 123643 points

Haha, that's why I create Laragon.
    When you want to upgrade PHP/Apache/MySQL, you'll feel thankful much more :)

For performance, I can give some recommendations:

1. 7 sec is still slow - you may need to use Redis cache to improve your backend.
    2. If your backend has long running processes, please consider putting them in queue.
    3. If you host your project in production, consider taking your time and effort to optimize the frontend using CDN. CDN makes quick accessible to customers around the world + reduce much loads on your origin server.

Btw, You comment makes my day - Thank you!

• | 1254 points

@leokhoa said in Suggestion for Laragon best performance.:

Haha, that's why I create Laragon.
    When you want to upgrade PHP/Apache/MySQL, you'll feel thankful much more :)

For performance, I can give some recommendations:

1. 7 sec is still slow - you may need to use Redis cache to improve your backend.
    2. If your backend has long running processes, please consider putting them in queue.
    3. If you host your project in production, consider taking your time and effort to optimize the frontend using CDN. CDN makes quick accessible to customers around the world + reduce much loads on your origin server.

Btw, You comment makes my day - Thank you!

Thanks leokhoa, I'll give a try to Redis cache.
    Do you think that using Windows server 2019 + Lagaron + Redis cache I can reach perfomance similar to linux? I don't want to belive that windows can be 1/3 in speed against linux !!!
    My server is used for let 18PC using a PHP management app locally. Is not exposed over internet and if someone need to connect from outside they will use a VPN.
    Currently under linux all is working (also VPN ) and the perfomance are about 7,5sec doing the heavy search from outside factory (VPN). Maybe Windows server can use better my 2 SERVER CPU. As you read my test was done using Windows 10 Pro. Maybe windows 10 is not designed to support very well my server CPU. As I wrote using I7 (4 core 8 thread) I get 9,5 seconds using the same operation. What do you suggest ? Should I restart from scratch installing windows 2019 ?
    Thanks for your answers.

• administrators
    | 123643 points

@Amigamerlin : 2 CPU Server will help when it serve concurrent requests. Window Server is better in term of network performace and utilize multi-core CPU. You should give it a try.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.