SOLVED: Set Global sql_mode does not persist even when entered into my.ini

• | 1129 points

I need to remove the "only_full_group_by " I have read the various entries on the forum, and set the my.ini accroding as below.

SET GLOBAL sql_mode='STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,STRICT_ALL_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,TRADITIONAL,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION'

However, when I check the variables in PhpMyAdmin, it does not persist AND my queries are still showing the same classic errror "this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by" as before. Same result if I check throught the CLI.

How do I remove "only_group_by"

Many thanks !

• | 1129 points

@vincej Ok, I found the problem and solution. I use a php framework, called Laravel. Within Laravel, there is a database.config file. Within the file there is a "strict" setting within the mysql array. The default is "true". Set this to "false" and Laravel will obey what is in my.ini.

'mysql' => [
    'driver' => 'mysql',
    'url' => env('DATABASE_URL'),
    'host' => env('DB_HOST', '127.0.0.1'),
    'port' => env('DB_PORT', '3306'),
    'database' => env('DB_DATABASE', 'forge'),
    'username' => env('DB_USERNAME', 'forge'),
    'password' => env('DB_PASSWORD', ''),
    'unix_socket' => env('DB_SOCKET', ''),
    'charset' => 'utf8mb4',
    'collation' => 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci',
    'prefix' => '',
    'prefix_indexes' => true,
    'strict' => true,
    'engine' => null,
    'options' => extension_loaded('pdo_mysql') ? array_filter([
    PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_SSL_CA => env('MYSQL_ATTR_SSL_CA'),
    ]) : [],
    ],

• | 302 points

Quite simple really... When in your phpMyAdmin go to variables and search for sql mode. As soon as you do that you will get this code
    ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,​NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,​NO_ZERO_DATE,​ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,​NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,​NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

all you need to do then is click on edit sql mode on the LHS and then delete ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY, include comma and then click on save.

That's it! it should end up like this every time .....
    STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,​NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,​NO_ZERO_DATE,​ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,​NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,​NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

I'm using mysql-5.7.33-winx64. I hope that helps you folks. I found this out after inserting a new script that used an older version of MSQL and got this error message...

Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'newsletter.t1.date_sent' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.