How to run a Node.js app from Laragon?

• | 500 points

Hello,

I see Laragon comes with Node.js, but I'm not sure what I need to do to run a Node.js application with Laragon. I've spent a few minutes searching for a solution or a guide and haven't found what I'm looking for.

So, how do I run a Node.js app from Laragon?

If it matters, I'm hoping to run a self-hosted Wiki.js (I don't want to use Docker, that's why I want to try running from Laragon). Maybe some other stuff, too, if I can get the process down.

Thanks!

• | 7765 points

@Canowyrms Laragon is a local development environment for Windows, you can use it to "spin up" a project like Wiki.js, on your local pc, but not host it on the www.

The instructions to install wiki.js on windows are here: Getting started with a Wiki.js installation on Windows

• | 500 points

By the sounds of it, I don't actually need Laragon to run Wiki.js - I just need Node.js installed on my computer (which is kind of a must these days anyway).

I was hoping there'd be an Apache or NGINX recipe for proxying requests to a node app. That's the part I'm unsure of.

Thanks for the feedback.

• | 7765 points

@Canowyrms Laragon comes with node.js and npm. By installing Laragon you will get these and other useful utilities. Apache and NGINX will be available in the future if required.

To make node available in all terminals, the instructions advise Powershell, see laragon > docs > isolated

Just click Menu > Tools > PATH environment variable > Add Laragon to Path

You then need to Log off and back on for the path to be added to all terminals (CMD/ Shell / Terminal etc.)

One point to note: if you change the node.js version, you need to run Remove Laragon from Path, log off and back on. Then Add Laragon to Path log off and back on! The new node.js version will then be available in all terminals, including Powershell.

You will be able to run node.js from Powershell, the instructions for wiki.js advise there is a built-in server, so to start your project you will not need Apache, only node.js.

Depending on what you want to do with your wiki, if it is a publicly accessible wiki I would recommend using www.fandom.com, which is a Midia Wiki style fansite, you can create your own wiki, for free and you can be the admin. I was the admin on the real racing 3 wiki for several years. It was where I cut my teeth on the front end web layout and design.

• | 500 points

Thanks for the tips. I prefer to install Node.js by using Node.js' installer. As well, I sometimes need to use NVM, so having Node.js installed the traditional way kinda helps with that. At least, that's how I've done it historically, and it has always worked well.

The wiki would just be a personal knowledge-base, not accessible to the public. Not sure if Wiki.js is the right fit for me and my goal-in-mind, but it's worth a shot.

Can Fandom be self-hosted? It is important to me that whatever I'm putting in to whatever my knowledge-base will be is available locally and offline.

• | 7765 points

@Canowyrms yes, Media wiki is free to download and install locally, see mediawiki Installation_guide.

I make all my note in Markdown these days. When I want to make them public I either upload as a github gist or more recently a blog. I just want to dump my knowledge quickly and easily with basic editing. Even with years for Wiki editing, it is more than I need. I could also upload notes to a private repo, if I wanted to and convert them in another format at a later date. There is an excellent blog about Creating a VSCode Second Brain, using only VS Code and several plugins. Although this is another level again from my notes. Some more food for thought.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.