I Already Have PHP, MySQL, and Apache Set-Up - Do I Have To Delete Before Installing Laragon?

• | 589 points

I already set-up PHP, MySQL, and Apache manually (no 1 click installs, etc.).

Do I have to remove it before installing Laragon? Thanks

• administrators
    | 53152 points

@reinart : Laragon is self-contained and as you control PHP, MySQL and Apache, you don't need to.
    Just make sure:

1. They are not in your PATH (to avoid versions' conflicts)
    2. They are not running when starting Laragon's services (to avoid ports' conflicts). It's Ok if you change ports (Menu > Preferences > Services and Ports)

• | 589 points

Thanks! I'm very new to this, so I have a few questions:

1. What do you mean they are not in my PATH?
    2. So I just have to make sure the Apache24 Windows Service is off, and my MySQL Instance is stopped.

Right? :)

Thanks!

• administrators
    | 53152 points

@reinart :

1. To build modern apps quick and easily, you should use command line. Adding to PATH helps you type php, mysql without full path.
      To check: on Laragon, open Terminal and type composer --version, composer will call PHP, as Laragon adds PHP to its own PATH, it will work.

2. Yes, you're right.

Note: Laragon is isolated with the OS so it doesn't use Windows Services.

• | 589 points

Okay cool! I'm still kinda confused about the PATH thing though.

I did a quick Google search, and that means adding to the searchable directory of the command line, right?

So, I do have composer installed, but I've never used it. Does this mean my PHP, MySQL, Apache are already in my PATH and will conflict with the Laragon install?

Also - GIT comes with your package right? This means I can access it through the Laragon terminal only, but not outside? Is that right?

I'm super thankful for you answering all my questions. If you have a donate/contribute button, just lead me to it and I'll be happy to support this awesome tool. :) Thank you!!!

• administrators
    | 53152 points

1. That means adding to the searchable directory of the command line, right?
      Yes, you're right.

2. Also - GIT comes with your package right? This means I can access it through the Laragon terminal only, but not outside? Is that right?
      Yes, you're right. But if you want to, just add Laragon to your PATH (Menu > Tools > Path > Add Laragon to Path)

3. If you are happy with Laragon, you can donate me here :):
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FCNWD2J8HY64U

• | 589 points

Ahhhh. So if I add Laragon to PATH, I will be able to do anything Laragon related through windows cmd.

1. But it's totally fine to run it only the terminal right?

Also, what's the answer to this question?

1. So, I do have composer installed on my cmd right now, and I can access it. (Although I've never used it). Does this mean my PHP, MySQL, Apache are already in my PATH and will conflict with the Laragon install?

Thanks! Will note the donate link. ;)

• administrators
    | 53152 points

1. Yes, it's fine. Laragon is designed to be isolated with the OS.
    2. It might conflict. But, Laragon is aware of it and put Laragon's PATH in high priority. So in theory, outside Laragon, you can use your own PHP/Composer - in Laragon, you can use Laragon's PHP/Composer. You can double check.

• | 589 points

Okay cool! What happens if it conflicts? Does it break anything?

• administrators
    | 53152 points

@reinart:
    If it conflicts, you don't know which PHP version is being used in the Terminal and is confused.
    To check which PHP version is used, you can type:

which php

• | 589 points

Okay, so what can happen is that Laragon will end up using the PHP on my OS, instead of the one that comes with Laragon. Right?

But I can check which one is being used by using the "which php" in the terminal.

Right? So nothing actually breaks - the php being used is just different. Is that right?

• administrators
    | 53152 points

@reinart : Yes, that's right :)

• | 589 points

Awesome. Got everything installed.

Does this mean it's using the one in Laragon and not on my OS?
    0_1496817418039_upload-f0bceb05-db92-4147-b385-1286010f52aa

• administrators
    | 53152 points

@reinart : My answer is: Yes :)

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.