Bitdefender and laragon.exe

• | 433 points

I've just started using Laragon, and it's really great. Except for the fact that Bitdefender is picking it up as malicious software. I'm 99% sure that it isn't, so please could you kindly whitelist it with them?

Also, I'm not sure why, but re-installing (overwriting) doesn't seem to help. Just gives me error code 5, access denied, and laragon.exe is not replaced. Using the wamp version. Any ideas?

• | 433 points

I landed up having to uninstall Bitdefender so I could replace laragon.exe manually.

Warning to BD users: It will delete the file at some point, and it will not allow you to restore it. Further, it will lock down the laragon directory, and the only option you have is to uninstall to release the lock.

Evidently, there are better AVs out there...

• administrators
    | 58901 points

@mikerockett : There must be a reason Bitdefender did that. Let's me test and check with them. Will keep you posted.

• | 433 points

@leokhoa Thanks a mil!

• administrators
    | 58901 points

@mikerockett : I've checked laragon.exe with virustotal.com - the result is fine even with BitDefender so I have no idea why your BitDefender did that. I guess Laragon modifies hosts file for pretty urls so BD made wrong alarm. However, it is better if BD logged some reasons before deleting Laragon.

My result: 0_1501080284098_Laragon scan at 2017-07-26 13_42_18 UTC - VirusTotal.pdf

You also can check at:
    https://www.virustotal.com

• | 433 points

Thanks for checking... Perhaps it was a heuristics thing? Just thinking out loud here, but I have heard of AVs misbehaving for various reasons, including potential security concerns over time, as well as what they think is 'bad code', whatever that means...

Hopefully it doesn't impact anyone else. Nonetheless, I'm all sorted now as I've reverted back to Defender.

Thanks again!

• | 433 points

Oh, and to comment on BDs behaviour: it's a very naughty AV. Doesn't allow you to revert anything, and you can only restore things that have been dumped in quarantine. Customisation is so limited, it's actually not worth it for power-users like myself. These autonomous AVs are probably designed for customers to buy the full products...

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.