[IMPORTANT] .dev domains & Chrome 63+
EDITED: From version 3.2.3 & 3.1.9, Laragon uses
.testas default hostname format:
For many years, we've used .dev for our local sites. Then, Google bought it. Then, they "hard-coded" in Chrome 63 - forces https redirection on .dev domains and causes many troubles.
They have rights to do so but it hurts many developers as well as destroys many articles and videos related to .dev domains. On the other side, we have our freedom to overcome the issue:
- Use other browsers:
- If you are stuck with Chrome, just change the hostname format in Menu > Preferences to:
Will you change .dev to .something in the next Laragon update?
You can change it manually to your liking as given here: https://forum.laragon.org/topic/761/chrome-63-now-forces-dev-domains-to-https/2
Is .app an option or does it suffer of the same problem?
Today or tomorrow .app will have the same fate as .dev.
@bantya i will use mozilla firefox, i hate Chrome so much since they take the domain from us (sounds like a kid right )
Changing browser will (probably) work only for a limited time..
As mentioned, .dev is a gTLD and it's been added to HSTS Preload list.
All major browsers are using that same list (afaik)
So it's only a matter of time, until (all) other browser have updated to this latest list.
When I first heard about this .dev gTLD, I started to anticipate this kind of situation and changed to .test domain (which is valid TLD meant for development). It took some time get used to it, but nowadays I have no problems using it.
Only problem is that I need to add leading slash to make browser understand what I want (load page instead of searching..)
One could argue that this is a bad move, and I mostly agree..but I have better things to do, than worry about this kind of small(ish) changes
@Kurre I couldn't agree more.
i use .won
I use .loc and works well. I hope @leokhoa can update the new hostname for example .loc by default for the next release. I'm pretty sure this will helps "new" laragon users.
He is planning it, please join our discussion about the next domain for Laragon in here
I solved the problem by adding the port number
I just had this same problem on a Windows machine. For me everything was working fine until I created a new site. After that the new site would not load. I was using .bob and I tried changing that but it didn't work. I then unchecked the Auto virtual hosts in preferences and Laragon gave me an error.
It stated the problem was that the hosts file in Windows was marked as read only. This is where the new host domains are stored, therefore it could not add the new domain to the list.
The solution is to use file explorer to go C:\Windows\System32\drivers\hosts. Right click. Unclick the Read Only box. Apply and exit. After that I uncheck and rechecked the Auto Virtual Hosts back in Laragon Preferences. No error this time and all sites are working again.
I use localhost.mypersonaldomain. com for testing, I created a localhost subdomain in my domain registrar with IP 127.0.0.1 and ::1 for IPv6 and now all I have to do is type localhost.mypersonaldomain. com in the address bar and it works, no need to modify HOST file anymore.