PHP date function giving wrong time [solved]

• | 1167 points

I can't get the PHP date function to give me the proper time. It is always a 4 hours and ahead.

I have set the date.timezone = "America/Toronto" and phpinfo() shows that it is set to that. The default timezone is set to UTC and I don't know how to change that as there isn't a variable for it in php.ini file.

This isn't just happening with Laragon it is also happening on my server. Laragon is running PHP 7.1 and my server is 7.2. I am using php-fpm on my server. I am not sure what Laragon uses.

Using nginx on my server and Laragon shows both Apache and Ngnix when starting.

• administrators
    | 97647 points

@drdan : Can you show a sample code and your expected result?

• | 2625 points

Hola @drdan,

Open config/app.php, then find 'timezone' => 'UTC' and change it to 'timezone' => 'America/Toronto'.

Please tell us the result.

• | 1167 points

Thanks guys. You both hit on my problems.

Setting the 'timezone' => 'America/Toronto' in the config/app.php file was the solution.

I didn't mention it but the time was also off by a fraction of an hour rather than exactly 4 hours. This was caused by using m for minutes in the date function rather than i. Thus I was displaying the month not the minutes.

It is all good now. Thanks again.

Looks like your connection to Laragon was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.